CAmH essay question 2
Discuss and critically evaluate the evidence on institutional deprivation as a risk factor for neurodevelopment disorders.
Remember to try to be as concise as possible in the essay always trying to tell a story but being straight to the point, and also making sure your text is within the word count limit (1650 words, including in-text citations .
Key points to consider:
· Don’t forget to include key definitions, to provide context at the start of the paper, and to make appropriate citations. As your paper develops, you can answer questions like:
1. What are neurodevelopmental disorders
2. What are the risk factors for these disorders in general, and their specific effect sizes?
3. Why is there a focus on institutional deprivation in the context of neurodevelopmental disorders?
4. What is institutional deprivation?
5. Are there associated outcomes later in life? Do effects vary according to severity or duration of exposure?
6. Are there plausible biological effects associated with institutional deprivation? (You could discuss, for example, neuroimaging studies looking at brain structure or function, and putative cellular, genetic, or hormonal mechanisms involved). How common is it?
7. Are there links with psychiatric disorders beyond neurodevelopmental disorders that may be worth mentioning?
8. Can we link institutional deprivation to attachment styles?
9. Are some individuals more susceptible than others to develop neurodevelopmental disorders? Is there a role for genetics
10. How about orphans who were adopted straight after birth – such as Asian countries – do they have any neurodevelopmental disorders compared to the Romanians ?
· In the conclusion, make sure that you write something impactful.
Strong conclusions typically describe in depth what are the next steps in the field.
Are there policies that could be changed or implemented to improve people’s lives?
Give clear examples.
Are there countries doing this already?
In terms of research, what should we be doing to understand the true effects of institutional deprivation to individuals?
Is it challenging to investigate this?
Are there ethical considerations that we should be aware of? This sort of questions discussing future perspectives using critical thinking is one of the best ways to finish an essay!
· Don’t forget to mention the main method(s) for some key studies (at least two, ideally)
– if it’s a populational study, is it a meta-analysis, a randomized controlled trial, or a longitudinal study?
– How many people were analyzed?
– If it’s a laboratory-based experiment, is it controlled?
– How many samples were analyzed?
– Are there limitations to the study or the methodologies employed?
– How clear are the phenotypes analyzed?
– How does one study compare to or complement others?)
· Don’t forget to discuss limitations in the field (e.g., heterogeneity of the disorders investigated, heterogeneity of people’s response to institutional deprivation; what do these mean from a biological perspective? What does it mean for individuals?)
· Gold tip: You don’t necessarily have to answer all the questions provided in this feedback to get a good grade. Higher grades are typically a reflection of advanced critical writing/thinking, and not necessarily of extra content that may be in the text but disconnected from everything else.
Please use peer reviewed scholar resources only.
Don’t use a lot of Gargon
Apa 7th edition at least 13 sources
Find attached structure and guidance.
Don’t forget to compare the ERA and the BEIP
Don’t forget to add a little about bowlbeys study.
Here are some YouTube’s that explain the topic well for more information.
https://youtu.be/gbu_c7slS8Q topic info
https://youtu.be/vzLiMZQ-W_k topic info
https://youtu.be/94NM7Rw-53M limitations of studies
CAmH essay question 2